What are chakras?
- ‘Chakra’ means ‘wheel’ or ‘disk’.
- Spinning centres of free-flowing high density energy.
- Each has its own colour and vibrational frequency.
- Aligned invisibly and vertically along the spinal column.
- Their primary goal is to keep us functioning at optimum levels.
It is essential they are balanced in order to stay open and aligned.
- Their energy flow is directly affected by everything we do, our thoughts, emotions, health and state of mind.
- There are 7 main chakras associated with reiki, explained below.
- Additional chakras are present within our bodies, which are less well known.
The seven main chakras
Crown Chakra / Sahasrara
Location: Top of the head
Our ability to be fully connected spiritually, inner/outer beauty and pure bliss.
Third Eye Chakra / Ajna
Location: Forehead, between the eyes
Our ability to focus on and see the big picture, intuition, imagination, wisdom, think and make decisions.
Throat Chakra / Vishuddha
Our ability to communicate, express feelings and truth.
Heart Chakra / Anahata
Location: Centre of chest above heart
Our ability to love, feel joy and inner peace.
Solar Plexus Chakra / Manipura
Location: Stomach area
Our ability to be confident/in control of our lives, self-worth, confidence and self-esteem.
Sacral Chakra / Svadhisthana
Location: 2″ below the navel and 2″ inwards
Our connection and ability to accept others, experiences, sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure and sexuality.
Root Chakra / Muladhara
Location: Base of spine/tailbone)
Our foundation, sense of grounding and survival e.g. financial independence, money and food.
- When all the chakras are balanced our entire body is in harmony and we feel energised, elevated and whole.
- We are able to release toxins and everyday debris as our energy flows freely.
- Blocked energy in a chakra/s can leave us prone to illness in that area or areas of the body.
- Negative emotions, fears, an unhealthy lifestyle and or habits can all contribute to blockages and imbalances.
- Due to the location of each chakra, a blocked or imbalanced chakra relates to specific ailments and physical, emotional, spiritual and mental dysfunctions.
- When a chakra is blocked, other chakras work hard to compensate and as a result become over or under active, causing issues for others.